Thursday, January 13, 2011

BV - Philippians 3:14

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward.
Philippians 3:14

If ever there was an individual who was, to me, a true example of how to live a Godly life, it is the apostle Paul. Out of almost everyone mentioned in the New Testament (except Christ himself) Paul had the incredible ability to focus. He certainly had his fair share of distractions (imprisonment, being shipwrecked, bitten by a poisonous snake, being beaten, and the list goes on). And yet – most of these experiences seemed little more than minor setbacks. They almost seemed inconsequential to him – much like the constant pestering of a fly. He never focused on the trials of the day. You can almost hear him say “Yeah, I’m in prison. So? Bring me that guard. I’d like to share something with him.” Paul’s eyes focused on, not where he was, but where he was going and what God was trying to do through him before he got there. He was singularly focused on sharing the love and redemption of Jesus Christ. How nice it would be, in my own life, when someone tells me I’m standing in the muck, to be able to say: “So? I know it’s messy right now but let me tell you about the prize that awaits me.”

Encouragement of the day: Stay focused. Keep your eyes on Him and not where your feet are. It’s much easier to see where you are going if you’re looking up instead of down.

Question of the day: Is there someone whose life in the Bible really speaks to you?

No comments: