Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Importance Of Intercessory Prayer

1 Timothy 2: 1  First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgiving, be made on behalf of all men...

Most of my life I'd heard the phrase "intercessory prayer".  I never really put much thought into what it meant other than it meant praying for other people.  Several years ago, however, I finally got a deeper picture of what interceding actually means.  I was taking a Bible study on the subject of prayer when intercessory prayer came up.  In the course of the discussion a light bulb came on (or more likely the Holy Spirit spoke to me).

A friend of mine was in the midst of a battle with cancer.  Although she believed God existed, she didn't have much of a relationship with him.  On top of that - her anger level at Him was extremely high.  In our Bible study discussion we talked about how God doesn't hear the prayers of the unrighteous.  My friend came to mind.  I wondered if God would hear her even if she tried to pray.  Had she, through her anger, muddled up the line of communication.  The definition of intercede is "to intervene between parties with a view to reconciling differences".  I sensed (from God) some intervening and reconciling needing to take place.  

And so I prayed for her with a new understanding of what that meant.  It was no longer just about asking God to heal her or to bless her.  It was about repairing a line of communication.  To use a simple analogy - I was like the telephone repairman fixing a downed line.  I may not have been an expert at intercessory prayer but it didn't matter.  During the time I spent praying for my friend, God let me know my prayers had been heard.  My friend was in good hands.

We are all called to be intercessors.  Our job is to fill in the gaps - to connect lost souls with God - to be a conduit helping with the flow of communication.  That's why it's so important to pray for those who are lost.  What are the chances they're praying for themselves?

God is amazing.  Even when there seems to be no way for a lost soul to connect with Him - He provides a way through the prayers of His children.  I think it's a great privilege to intercede on someone else's behalf.  I like to think others are doing the same for me. 

No comments: