Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Finding God In Every Day: Picnic With God


It started out like most typical Saturdays at my house - a little bit of dilly-dallying around, a little HGTV, a little laundry and even a small craft project.  I was hanging up clothes when I remembered thinking earlier in the week that if it was nice out on Saturday, I’d take my daughter to the park.  It was nice out.  I looked at the clock and since it was almost noon decided we should go all-out and have a picnic too.  

I made up our lunches and we headed to the park by the lake.  We grabbed our picnic blanket and set up our lounging spot.  It was a surprisingly beautiful day.  I kicked off my shoes and sat there for a moment soaking in the experience.  My husband was thrilled with having an extra chance to fish.  My daughter was thrilled just to be outside with Mom and Dad.  And I was thrilled with the stolen moment away from the house – away from the to-do lists and stresses. 

This was simply a moment to enjoy life and to enjoy the beauty God created.  The lake was filled with contented geese and ducks (sadly for my husband, there were not many fish).  The mountains stood majestically in the background creating a frame of sorts for the lake.   Other families had the same idea and came to the park to spend time together (enjoying the gift of each other).  The sound of children laughing and playing filled the air and yet it didn’t interrupt the peace of the moment.

Thank you, Father, for helping me stop for a moment so that I could see you - take in the beauty you created and to enjoy the family you so richly blessed me with.  It's so easy to miss you in the rushes from here to there. The busyness of life prevents us from so many Godly things.  Thanks for helping stop and look for you.  My spirit was renewed.  I’m already thinking about our next picnic.

No comments: