Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Word Firmly Planted

It's the beginning of the year and resolutions are in full swing (if they've made it this long).  With that said, I'm embarking on a new challenge of my own.  It's not so much part of a resolution as much as part of my desire to have the Word of God planted in my heart, mind and spirit.

Let me back up a bit.  During a recent Bible study as well as through a recent prayer commitment I discovered (or shall I say rediscovered) that the best way to fight back negative thoughts, fears, worries (all things devil-initiated) is to redirect my thoughts away from the devil's lies and back to God's truth.  The best way to do that is to recall the truth God has spoken through His Word.  The Bible is full of verses which remind us of His love, power, grace, forgiveness, faithfulness, patience.  The list goes on and on. 

One morning I woke up early and as I lay in bed my mind began racing with thoughts I knew we're leading me down a negative path.  The first step for me was recognizing what I was allowing to take place.  The second step was to immediately redirect my thinking.  I began trying to quote various scriptures.  The problem was that I was having a problem recalling very many.  Sure - I could have pulled out my Bible and read any number of the uplifting verses I've underlined over the years.  But I realized how valuable it is to have verses "at the ready" - being able to recall them at any moment.

So my challenge this year is to learn one verse a week.  For those of you who are good at math that will be 52 verses for the year.  That's really not that difficult a challenge.  The difficulty is in remembering them two, three or four weeks later.  The idea isn't so much about memorization but about firmly planting them in my mind.  So in order to do that I'm planning on adding a verse every week - not replace it each week.  By week 52 - I hope to be saying all 52 verses.  Now that definitely sounds like a challenge.

I will keep you updated on my progress as well as give you the list of verses I'm committing to memory.  Maybe you would like to join me.  I hope so.  God has given us a great weapon, His Word, the sword of the Spirit (Eph 6:17) to fight off the attacks of the evil one.  There is power in the Word so we'd be wise to arm ourselves with it.  Here are the two verses I've started with:

Week 1:  Psalm 9:9-10
The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord have never forsaken those who seek you.

Week 2:  Romans 10:17
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word of Christ.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Thanks Kim. So far so good. What's even better is that my daughter is enjoying helping me.