Wednesday, April 25, 2012

God Works At Chick-fil-a!

Believe it or not but I found God working at Chick-fil-a today.  No, He wasn't the cashier.  I found God working in me.  How?  He blessed me with yummy nuggets and I didn't feel guilty about it.  This may seem like a silly statement to you but you don't know all of my struggles.  For the last several years I've had a hard time with guilt over spending money on certain things.

I would convince myself that being a good steward meant I needed to eat at a $3 place instead of a $7 place.   The fact that one would make me happy and the other would...well...get me by didn't seem to matter.  (And whether the $3 place was actually serving "food" didn't seem to matter either.)  But my logic was twisted. Isn't spending any amount of money on something I don't like just as wasteful?

Of course I need to be responsible.  But I also can't get so caught up in guilt that I won't allow myself to enjoy a few of life's blessings. Yes, I spent $7 instead of $3 but in the scheme of things is that extra $4 going to make a difference? This is how I see it.  God gave me a $4 present today (it's His money anyway, right?). He knew the joy I'd have as soon as I put that first mouth-watering, tasty chicken nugget into my mouth. Chick-fil-a makes me happy and God knows it. And so today He treated me with guilt free nuggets, waffle fries and a drink.

God likes to see us smile.  He likes to see us enjoying the life he gave us.  A smile can do wonders for the soul.  Thank God for Chick-fil-a and the little things that make me happy.  I'm learning to enjoy them one nugget at a time.

No comments: