Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Feeling God's Pleasure

Several years ago I bought a book entitled "Walking in Total God-Confidence" by Donna Partow. It's written as a ten-week study (great for groups) but I read it straight through. Not too long ago I decided to read through it once again. Just like the first time, I gleaned a lot from what Donna had to say. But this time one particular thing spoke to me in a profound way. In the book Donna relayed the story of Olympian Eric Liddel. If you're not familiar with him by name, the movie "Chariots of Fire" tells the story of his Olympic journey as a runner. In the movie, Donna explains, there is a scene where Eric's sister is trying to convince him to give up running and devote himself to missionary work. He responds to her by saying "I know God made me for a purpose. But he made me fast, too. And when I run, I feel God's pleasure." Wow! What a wonderful thing to feel. To know or to feel that something we do (which may seem frivolous to someone else) can bring pleasure to God is a feeling worth seeking.

In the book Donna goes on to ask the reader a question. It was a question I've probably asked myself a million times before and had no convincing answer. But somehow this time was different. This time when I asked myself the question, I instantly had an answer. What was the question? It was simply this: "Is there something you do that, when you do it, you feel God's pleasure? You feel 'the smile of God' upon your life."


For me it was a "putting two and two together" moment. I've been doing something for years off and on simply because I enjoyed doing it. But at the moment I asked myself Donna's question, I realized the feeling I got from doing it was more than just my enjoyment. It was the feeling of pleasing God. So what does one take away from such a realization? If I don't do it, I wonder if I'm displeasing God (or if I'm saying no to something He wants me to do). This is not a path I wish to take. So I choose to do what I believe in my heart pleases God (which, in turn, pleases me). My hope is that I'll discover the feeling more and more often with other things I do or in ways I behave.


Did I find God's calling for my life? Not necessarily. Eric Liddel's calling wasn't running. He eventually became a missionary to China. But running fast was a gift. I think Eric was blessed with the realization that simply doing something with the gift God gave him was pleasing to God. And I believe Eric relished every moment.

No comments: