Monday, January 4, 2010

Parable of the Talents

Here is another blog entry from my personal archive of written articles. You may want to read the parable first for reference. It's found in Matthew 25: 14-30.

Parable of the Talents

In the past when I’ve looked at the Parable of the Talents I looked at talents the way they are portrayed – as money. There is a great deal to learn from the parable in that respect but as I reread the passage recently I saw talents in a different light. I saw them as actual talents (special abilities).

It struck me that many of us are afraid to use our talents so we run off and bury them somewhere much like the third servant did. When I applied this to my own life I wondered what talents I have been given that I’ve buried away. For example, I like to write but fear and lack of dedication has always gotten in my way of doing anything with this ability. I’ve been burying what actually could be one of my talents. What I believe this parable is telling me is that I must make an investment in my talent much like the first and second servants did. Only by investing time and effort into a talent will I ever see any return in it – any growth in it. I may not start out as a great writer but that’s okay. You see, I’m investing in it and I’m banking on the fact that the more I invest, the more talent I’ll receive. It’s kind of like practicing. The more we practice, the better we become. Matthew chapter 25, verse 29 says: “For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.” If we invest in our talents, we will be rewarded with more talent(s). If we don’t invest in our talents we are like the third servant. Our unused talents will be taken from us.

It can be a little daunting trying to figure out what our talent is. But it’s important to remember that we have many talents and abilities. I don’t believe we have one “talent-of-all-talents”. If that’s the case then there’s a great many of us wondering around completely clueless. If we’re supposed to have one grand talent, I assume we would know what it is. However, most of us don’t. I look at talent from this perspective: since God created me in His image I assume, then, that I have been given many abilities. The possibilities are endless. Our talent doesn’t have to be grand or obvious to us or the whole world. We can’t let that misconception keep us from investing in what may be a God-given ability. The simplest thing to one person may be something extraordinary to another. For example, I once had a roommate who enjoyed washing dishes. She said it was relaxing. Believe it or not but there are people out there who don’t like to wash dishes. Or maybe they can’t because of physical reasons. Having someone come do this for them would be a nice outreach. The same applies to other chores like cooking, house cleaning, and laundry. Do you enjoy doing these things? If so, then I say that is a rare gift. Go forth and bless those of us who don't. But seriously, do you like to write stories, songs, or poems? Are you a good listener? Are you a good teacher? Are you good at encouraging others? Are you someone who comes up with good ideas but has trouble making the ideas come to life? Share your ideas with someone who is a “doer” but has trouble coming up with ideas. Are you a home organizer, a computer whiz, a party planner or do you enjoy being a hostess? Everybody has things they’re good at. The trick is sharing them with others.

Whatever you do – do it for the glory of the Lord. The first and second servants in the parable were ultimately trying to please their master. We, ultimately, want to please God. He has entrusted us with talents and expects us to make them grow. By investing in our talents we’ll find the rewards are great. Not only do we please and glorify God but we also get more talent in the process.

No comments: