Thursday, November 21, 2013

Perfect Faith

Have you ever noticed how some scriptures sound so absolute?  For example, the Bible says hope doesn't disappoint (Romans 5:5).  And yet who hasn't felt disappointment in something hoped for?  What about the scripture that says if you believe and not doubt you will have whatever you ask (Mark 11:23,24)?  I don't know about you but I've asked for many things I haven't received.  And then how about in James chapter 1, verses 6 and 7 which indicates that a man who doubts should not expect to receive anything.

These verses have always thrown me for a loop.  They sound like if you don't have perfect faith than your prayers won't be heard or answered.  So - we seem to be in a little bit of a pickle.  Either we have perfect faith or we don't receive anything.  Is that really what the Bible is saying?

I began to think that maybe the words "hope" and "belief" are meant to be taken in a more general sense.  I've always thought of them in a more specific context.  For example, if someone hopes in specifics like getting married someday, or for a well-paying job, or for a healing, they might be disappointed if those things don't happen.  But if the "hope" God is referring to is simply our hope in the salvation of God and the opportunity to spend eternity in Heaven then, of course, hope will not disappoint.  If "belief" simply means we believe that God is who He says He is and Jesus is His son, then maybe that's all the belief we need (and it's enough to move mountains).

In Mark chapter 9 we come across a man asking Jesus to heal his son.  He says to Jesus: "If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." Jesus responds: "'If you can?' Everything is possible for one who believes."  The man, realizing his error then says: "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief."  What strikes me about this story is that even though the man clearly had his doubts (he lacked perfect faith) Jesus still healed his son.  It shows me that our faith doesn't heal people, God heals people.  Yes, faith is required but perfect faith isn't expected.  After all, Jesus was the only one who had perfect faith.

So I guess my personal take-away is this: If I ask for something in prayer and I don't receive it, I can no longer guilt myself into believing the lie that I didn't receive because my faith wasn't strong enough.  The truth is my faith is strong - it's just not perfect.  But then again, thankfully, God doesn't expect perfection out of me.

No comments: