Tuesday, November 5, 2013

From Here To Eternity: A Glorious Transition

A college friend of mine is losing his earthly body today and gaining a fabulous new one in Heaven.  I'm incredibly excited for him for what is sure to be the most glorious day of his life and birthday into eternity.  Eagerly awaiting his arrival will be a sister, a mother, countless angels and his heavenly Father with open arms. 

His passing, of course, makes me sad and my heart breaks for his family but I can't help but think that his infectious smile will be larger than its ever been once he gets to his new home.  He touched everyone he met.  He had a huge heart and more love than most to give away.

I've been reading friends' comments on Facebook.  Everybody says the same thing.  They reference his smile, his attitude, his love for and his dedication to God.  I can't help but think, despite all the health struggles, this man has lived a blessed life.  A life lived in that peaceful spot of truly understanding God's gift of forgiveness is greater than all the pain and suffering of this world.  Below is one of his postings from Facebook a year ago. You can get a sense of my friend's heart and life. 

"'Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not his benefits- who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases'.(Ps. 103:1-3) Today is the 11th anniversary of my stem cell transplant for stage IV Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I could go into all the treatments and share with you how difficult of a road it has been dealing with the horrible disease. But I am not going to do that. This day and everyday needs to be all about Jesus and how thankful I am for Him forgiving me for all my sins . That is why I chose this scripture. I am so thankful that I am forgiven. I reflect upon Christ and all the pain and suffering he went through to save me from my sins and not from cancer. My prayer is that we all don't forget His benefits."

I'm touched by the fact that his life was so clearly lived for GodNot everyone can say that about their own life nor will it be said about them. There is, in my humble opinion, no better way to be remembered than for everyone to know your life centered around God. Well done, my friend.  Well done.  

Now I'm left to wonder:  If he has been the life of the party here on earth, what will he be like in Heaven?  We will miss you, Rick!

No comments: