Wednesday, September 4, 2013

It's Not Easy Being A Parent

As a parent we sometimes have to make tough decisions with regards to our children's wants.  In a child's eyes it's a simple "yes" or "no" question.  But in reality there's more to our answer than that.  We often have to evaluate the effect giving them what they want will have on not only them but on other family members as well.

If I give Johnny something, then don't I need to give Suzie and Bobby something as well?  Or what if giving Bobby what he wants means I'm actually encouraging him not to work for it on his own.  Just because I may have the ability to give freely doesn't necessarily mean I should.  Other factors may be in play.

Not too long ago I put myself in a child's position as I asked God for something.  What I was asking for didn't seem like that big of a deal.  But then I believe God put it on my heart that not everything is as it seems.  The decisions God makes in my life do have an affect on those (my brothers and sisters) around me.  I was reminded that God has the responsibility of caring for the good of all His children.  And sometimes that means our desires are either put on hold or simply won't happen.

Here's an example:  You pray and pray for God to help you get your dream job.  But what if you not getting your dream job leads you into another position - a position where you will actually reach more souls?  The result is better for God's whole family not just the happiness of one.

Sometimes the decisions God makes seems like He's being mean or that He doesn't care.  But if we look at it from His perspective we see that He sometimes has to make difficult choices.  Yes, sometimes we get our feelings hurt when the answer isn't what we want.  But if we can remember God's responsible for the whole and not just the parts, those decisions start to make a little more sense.  And then maybe we can be satisfied knowing our sacrifices (or the sacrifices made on our behalf) are helping make our family healthier and stronger.

No comments: