Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Being A Conduit (Part 2)

Last week we began looking at being a conduit with a focus on allowing God's blessings to flow through us so we can be a blessing to others.  The interesting thing about a conduit is that in order for it to function properly it has to have openings on both ends.  If nothing is coming in then nothing can flow out.

It may seem like a no-brainer but we must allow God to bless us.  If our conduit isn't open to receiving the good things God offers then nothing can flow through us.  For some accepting things isn't hard.  They receive a gift, are immediately grateful, and say "thank you".  There's no guilt, no attitude of unworthiness, no need to try to repay the giver.  For others receiving can be a difficult thing and doesn't come naturally.

Somewhat recently God showed me I've been a guilty receiver.  Sure I took the blessings God gave me but I lived with guilt because of it.  I couldn't understand why He was blessing me when I felt I hadn't done anything to deserve it.  And that's when it hit me.  God doesn't give because we "deserve" His gifts.  He gives because it brings Him joy.

When we give something to someone else do we expect anything in return?  Do we want the receiver to feel beholden to us or to feel undeserving. Of course we don't feel that way when we give from our heart.  The purpose of giving is to bless someone - to lighten their load or simply to make them smile. 

Have you ever tried to give something to someone who tries hard not to accept your gift.  And even if they do accept it, they end up making the situation uncomfortable by not being able to accept it with joy?  After awhile you kind of stop wanting to give to that person.  I wonder if God ever feels like that.  If we continue to refuse His gifts or try to somehow make ourselves "deserving" of them, we miss the point. He gives because He wants to give.  He blesses so we can bless others.

No comments: