Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pray The Love of God on Them

The other day I sat down to write out my prayer list and got to thinking about each of the individuals.  I know the stories of some of them - what their struggles are at the moment.  But for others - sometimes they're on my list simply because they're friends or family.  They may not have a particular need or struggle at the moment.

Not everyone is currently experiencing a hardship (financial, physical, marital, emotional, spiritual, etc). And because of that we may tend to think there's no particular need to pray for them.  But as I thought about this I was struck by the realization of a universal desire. The truth is, whether we know it or not, we all want to feel the love of God.

Tell me - who wouldn't want to feel loved (I mean the kind of love that wraps you up and makes nothing else matter) from the God of all creation?  Sure - you might answer by saying those who don't have a relationship with God or don't care to have a relationship with God. But here is what I believe to be true.  Even those who are the most anti-God would be hard pressed to turn away that kind of love. 

We all want to be loved.  It's who we are - it's how God made us.  It's the kind of love that says "Don't worry, I got this.", that says "I value you to the nth degree.", or says "It's okay! Let me comfort you".  It's the kind of love that says (and actually means it) "I'd move Heaven and Earth to save you and you alone." 

We, humans, dilute the meaning of the word love.  But love from God is the truest, purest and most passionate kind of love there is.  Nothing on earth can even come close.  Who wouldn't want to feel that kind of love even if for just a moment in time?  So my point is this - we may not know people's earthly struggles to pray for but we can rest assured in knowing that everyone wants love.  I don't think there's a bigger blessing that exists for which we can pray.

No comments: