Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why Do We Pray? (Part 1)

As I was growing up I didn't truly understand the value of praying.  I knew that praying was the way in which we "formally" talked to God but didn't realize it's value beyond that.  It seemed like something we were just "supposed" to do.  Now - as I am continuing to mature in my faith, I see prayer in a different light.

Prayer isn't something we do simply out of obedience.  We pray to connect with God.  It's often been said you can't have a true, healthy relationship with someone if you never talk to them.  Try rarely talking to your best friend or spouse.  The closeness you once felt in the relationship will turn to a feeling of distance.  The same, of course, applies to our relationship with God.  We can't feel close to God if we don't take the time to connect with Him?

Talking to God is my ultimate "safe zone".  I can tell Him anything - my thoughts, my concerns, my frustrations, my pain and even my sin.  In Him I find no condemnation.  And even though I tend to be a rambler - I know He listens and loves me just the same.  (Most of the time He doesn't even interrupt me :-)

It may seem strange to some that speaking to God (whose presence is invisible to our human senses) could actually draw us nearer to Him. But I challenge anyone to give it a try.  When we start by praising Him (a topic I will touch on more in the future), we invite God to join us.  And when He's with us (abiding with us in our praises) we are connecting with Him (and He with us). 

I connect with lots of people but none so important as my God - my Father, my Lord, my Shepherd, my Shelter, my Savior. . . . .


No comments: