Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Quest for Freedom: Part 2 - Imprisonment

Breathing was difficult. There was an unusual thickness in the air that was closing in on me. There were, what seemed to be, invisible walls confining me. Circumstances in my life were weighing me down. The oppression was strong. I was very uncomfortable and in emotional and spiritual pain. I could see people walking around me in perfect freedom. I wanted to be where they were. But I was trapped. I couldn't get out of my prison. Or so I thought. Thankfully God's light could still penetrate the walls of my cell. I slowly began to see Truth once again. The fog was lifting. The truth: I was not trapped at all. I was free then and am free now, always and forever.

I walked into my prison on my own accord. I fell into one of satan's snares. With both feet caught, things began to blur. I couldn't see God clearly. I began to believe the lies spoken to me in my cell ("I belong here.", "This is my life now.", "There's no way out."). Maybe I'm the only one that's ever felt imprisoned---but I don't think I am. Maybe you have felt like you were trapped in a real-life nightmare or on a runaway train going the wrong direction. Maybe you've wanted to hit the power button and "reboot" or desperately call for a "do-over" so you could choose a different path. The feeling is oppressive, isn't it?

Sometimes we make a choice and can immediately feel oppression set in. At other times the oppressive feeling sneaks into our lives gradually. One day we wake up to find ourselves in prison. There is no one to blame but ourselves. God doesn't put us there. He never intended for us to live in bondage. In fact, He secured our freedom through His Son. We can't really blame satan. Sure he tricks us and temps us but the truth is - he has no authority to keep us in bondage. We can choose freedom. The door isn't locked. Jesus has taken the key and thrown it away forever. Our imprisonment is a state of mind. So why do some of us spend so much time under the control of an unholy warden?

I think satan must marvel at our gullibility. I imagine him giving his minions a tour of his "lair". They come to a room full of Christians. One of his minions asks "What are those Christians doing here? I thought you didn't have the authority to keep them here." Satan answers, "I don't but it doesn't keep me from trying. I set traps to see what happens. They take the bait and end up here. This group has been here for five years and still hasn't figured out they can leave whenever they want. I tell them lies and belittle them so they don't have the courage to walk out. I can't keep them here but at least I've rendered them useless for awhile."
It's a little scary how easily we fall for the traps. My belief is that becoming aware of satan's tactics and the weapons he uses will make us better able to withstand them. Here are a few oppressive tactics I believe he uses:


SIN - this is probably the most obvious. In John 8:34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin." The more we submit to sin, the more trapped we become. Fortunately, grace and redemption are always available.

FEAR - I mentioned in Part 1 that fear can cause us to be paralyzed. Not being able to move forward means we're in prison. If we can't move, then we are not free. Fear can also cause us to run the other way. Although being "on the lamb" isn't a stationary prison, it's still a prison. There is freedom in doing the things we know we ought to do and doing what God has asked us to do.

GUILT - We can be so overcome with guilt for past sins, for life choices, for not being "good" or "deserving" enough that we let guilt keep us from being the free child God meant for us to be. Perfection is a prison. God has never asked us to be perfect. He wants our hearts not our qualifications.

PEOPLE - Sometimes we do things to please other people. This in itself isn't bad. But if we are trying to get the approval of man, it is. Sometimes we try to please people out of fear. We're afraid to disappoint them. We're afraid to make them angry. We can spend our lives falling into the prison of wanting man's approval or we can enjoy the freedom that comes with God's approval.

FINANCES - We can be so consumed by money (whether it's about getting it, keeping it or spending it) that we become imprisoned by it. It controls us. I think freedom comes from being able to truly say: "It's only money.".

EMOTIONS - Life has its fair share of ups and downs. And with the "downs" come feelings such as sadness, anger and depression. These are perfectly natural and expected. The problem is in letting the emotions overtake us. When that happens they keep us from feeling the freeing affects of love and from experiencing peace. What remains is an imprisonment of negative emotions. We have all seen people, for example, who are consumed with hate. Sadly, they've chosen to live in the oppressiveness of hate rather than the freedom of God's love.

In my medium-length life, I have felt the oppression from some of those traps. And undoubtedly will come across more on my journey. But if I can keep focused on God's truth, I realize I don't have to live my life in bondage. I hope to live my life knowing that satan has no power over me - no authority to hold me captive. I have been set free!

1 Corinthians 7:22 - For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman.

No comments: