Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ten on Ten (March)

It is that time again. I can hardly believe it's been a month already. Well - here is my list of ten things I'm thankful for:

1 - "Tiny Blessings" (see previous blog article): There is a danger when our lives get clouded by busyness and/or emotions. It's easy to miss the little ways in which God is working around us. And when we stop looking or stop seeing the tiny blessings we can tend to feel abandoned. I'm thankful that I am looking again and have the pleasure and joy of seeing God's hand in my life (in the simplest of things).

2 - Lessons from God: Learning lessons from God can often be very difficult - not because of stubbornness to learn but because of the pain of self-reflection. I'm thankful that God helps me become, not only, the person I want to become, but also, the daughter He knows I can be. He loves me enough not to leave me where I am. If I am willing He will help me grow.

3 - Music - Christian music in particular: It can heal, inspire, remind me of God's wonderful and amazing existence, or simply allow me to offer my praise. I only wish I could sing.

4 - Chocolate, Pepsi, popcorn, Chick-fil-a and the like: The little pleasures of life should not be overlooked or taken for granted. These are simple, simple things and yet they make me smile. And all those little smiles add up to a great big warm fuzzy. My joy in these little things has an added benefit: my husband is thankful that I'm not high-maintenance. (Enstrom's Almond Toffee, by the way --- um! um! ---little bit of heaven.)

5 - TV: I know what you're thinking (or are you?). In reality it's not the TV that I'm thankful for - it's the simple "dates" my husband and I have while watching some of our favorite shows together.

6 - Friends: Sadly - most of my long-time friends live in other states. I don't get to see them much or at all. But - I am thankful that time and space hasn't taken away the value we have in each other.

7 -How do I put this? I'm thankful that I don't live in the same crazy world as the people on some "reality" shows. When I see clips of some of these people on the news or other programs I try to reassure myself that these idiotic, immoral, self-aggrandizing people don't actually exist - that it's all an act. But then I think - maybe I live in a bubble and these people do exist. And if that's the case - I'm glad I don't live where they live.


8 - Things that make me laugh: It could be just about anything. Laughter is good for the soul. And it's contagious. When my daughter finds something fall-down funny - it makes us all laugh. Try watching America's Funniest Home Video's with a child. You will have more fun watching them than the show.


9 - Answered prayers: I continue in my journey to be faithful in prayer for others. I have found it a true pleasure to see God working in their lives.

10 - The gym: - although I don't get there as often as I'd like (or should) I am thankful that I have the opportunity to work out and take care of my body. When I do get to go - my body and my mind feel refreshed.

No comments: